Remote Pilot Licence (RPL) Training Course Outline
UAV Industries Flight School is open for Training during the 21-day lockdown period and will be conducting lecturer-led online training to replace in-class Part 1: Theory component. The 5-day Course will begin every Monday from 30th March. Individal pricing for theory and practical components available. Download An Online Theory Training Brochure by entering your details.
UAV Industries is a licensed Aviation Training Organisation (ATO Number: CAA/0380), certified by the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) for remotely piloted aircraft (RPAS) or drones.
We have taken away much of the hard work of obtaining an RPL for commercial drone operations, by designing an all-inclusive training course that equips students with the skill and knowledge required to safely operate unmanned aircraft in a commercial capacity and also guides and supports you through all the required steps to obtain your license from the SACAA.
RPL Training is divided into two parts: theory and practical training.
Once both training and practical elements have been completed (allow a minimum of 4-8 weeks), UAV Industries will prepare, lodge and manage your Remote Pilot License application with the SACAA directly, saving you time and hassle!
In addition to the theory exams, students will be required to complete:
- Restricted Radio License training (theory and practical included in above)
- English Proficiency Exam, which includes an oral interview with examiner (exemption might be available for some tertiary degrees or English first language).
Browse Upcoming Course Dates here:
Please complete the form to download the RPL Training Course Brochure:
RPL Training Part 1: Theory
Theory Training takes place in one of our two approved training facilities in Cape Town (Paarden Eiland) or Joburg (Grand Central Airport, Midrand).
Classroom training covers a wide range of subjects, followed by multiple choice examinations.
- Air Law
- Flight Planning and Navigation
- Human Factors
- Principles of Flight
- Technical aspects and related items
- Recapitulation of coursework and practical planning session
Duration of theory component: 5 days
Once all theory training has been covered, students will be required to complete and pass the required multiple choice exams based on theory content. Exam times are flexible and can be arranged individually.
RPL Training Part 2: Practical
The practical component of the RPL Training Course is very flexible in terms of timings as it is scheduled around the student’s individual availability. Practical training consists of one-to-one training sessions using a Blade Chroma drone.
- Training slots are booked online in advance for convenience.
- UAV Industries does not actively limit the flight training to only a few hours as some flight schools do.
- Duration of practical element depends on students’ skill, experience, progress, availability and weather conditions (allow 4 – 8 weeks on average)
The practical training component culminates in a practical exam or skills test called a ‘Sign Out’ with a Designated Flight Examiner.